Faithful Love Dog Badge
Sorry, this item is out of stock
Lead alloy badges originated as souvenirs sold at the sites of Christian pilgrimages. The earliest findings of this type comes from about second half of 12th century, fall of their popularity is beginning of 16th century with the height of their popularity being in the 14th and 15th centuries. Pilgrim badges could be worn as "proof" of a pilgrimage to a particular site, and from the 14th century other religious and secular badges also became popular.
This replica is made of pewter and measures 30mm buy 25mm. It does not have a pin on the back, it is attached to clothing by sewing it on.
The badge depicts a Dog which was a symbol of faithfulness or faithful love. It is based on a finding from pattern is replica of finding from Nieuwlande, dated 1375-1425.