Arrow Badge (Livery Badge for Arthur, Prince of Wales)
Lead alloy badges originated as souvenirs sold at the sites of Christian pilgrimages. The earliest findings of this type comes from about second half of 12th century, fall of their popularity is beginning of 16th century with the height of their popularity being in the 14th and 15th centuries. Pilgrim badges could be worn as "proof" of a pilgrimage to a particular site, and from the 14th century other religious and secular badges also became popular.
This replica is made of pewter and measures 50mm by 30mm. It does not have a pin on the back, it is attached to clothing by sewing it on.
The badge depicts a sheaf of arrows encircled by a belt. The arrows are of different types, two being blunts and two being broad tips typical of hunting. These arrows are of a style used for sport and hunting, rather than military or combat use. These five (or sometimes four) arrows bundled in this way are a symbol of Arthur, the Prince of Wales (1486-1502) who was the son of Henry VII, and it is likely that this is a livery badge. Livery badges were commonly issued and worn to show affiliation for a household.